Monday, December 1, 2008

Mumbai Slice: -- An attack on my memories

Much is written and said about the attacks on Mumbai. I am about a 1000 kms away but, I felt the shrapnel right through my heart when I saw it. I have been writing mumbai slice for quite some time now. That shows how much the city is a part me and my my memories. A past which is wholly responsible for me being what I am. Good Bad ... I am not the one to contest. I could not continue my blog due to some time constraints. but the recent attacks have shook me hard. The city where I learnt to live was burning. This was an attack on my memories, my early youth. Leopold, any person who like a good drink or 2 in the warm nights of mumbai, have surely heard of Leopold and Mondegar. I used to frequent both places on weekends almost 2 years ago. We would most often deliberately miss the last train and then would take a walk ... drunk on the marine drive and sit in front of the Oberoi and watch the glittering cars in and out of the hotel, get chased by the police for loitering in the night. Walk back to the VT Station/ Churchgate and reach Dadar/ Borivili then back to the house. Not once did we miss the trip to the Gateway before our drink trip. we used to spend hours looking at the sea and sometimes ogle at the Taj and wishing to stay there one day.
When the news reporter was telling the names 1 by one, I felt the darned cowards shooting at my memories. Many people died, my heart felt condolences. I salute the army, Navy, NSG for their heroic deeds. I fall to the feet of Major Unni and the other NSG comando who died in the attack. I offer my flowers of gratitude to the police who, even if ill-equipped valiantly fought the terrorists. Finally I stand in 2 minute silence for all those who laid their lives to save others'. May God give you peace in your afterlife.
जय हिंद. भारत माता की जय.

No comments: