Friday, April 18, 2008

Mumbai slice -- Ready Steady GO!

"Abbe andar aa na yaar!" was the irritated reply. Meet Sachchu, Gaurav Sachan. A cool looking chap, may be just passed college, wheatish, smart n fun loving, with his hindi I could guess this guy was a northie, with hindi as his mother tongue. "Main Gaurav, I am from IET Lucknow, aur tum?", "Main Vivek, MIT not Massachuttes" came a reply from me and I tried to give a nervous laugh which kinda made my roomie stare at me as if I was an exhibit in a zoo with a smelly cage. This kind of informal intro was quite soothing to my almost tensed nerves. After some customary niceties, I dropped my bags from my shoulders, which I did not realize till then were ...aching. I kind of made myself cozy in a corner in the main hall. After about 10 mins comes Gade, Sandeep Gade. Studious looking fair chap. Receding hairline did nothing to add any years to his young looks. He was probably as old as I was, may be less. More of a leader breed from BITS Pilani.
We had the usual hi hellos, now for the money part, I paid him 15 thousand and said I will pay him the rest in 2-3 days. I needed some cash to survive as well. He agreed.

The house? I can say nothing bad about it. I was my first house, which I ever stayed in all by myself! Independent. If I can, I might buy that house in the future. Sentimental? I sure am, about that place.

Okay, it was a single Bed room, White tiled house, a decent (empty may I add) kitchen and a spacious bedroom. "There would be a fight for bedroom so we thought of staying in the hall and use the bedroom as changing, luggage and sometimes for private conversation with the loved ones" ventured Gade with a sly grin. "Kitchen could be used as store room, for suitcases, bags etc". I was nodding like those dolls placed on the dashboard of a car. The toilets and bathrooms were clean .. very clean infact.

Rest of the day went in meeting their friends, Negi, Deepak, ruchi ( i think that was the name) and finally swetha ... another brain from BIT mesram. The food was the first morsel in solitude, well actually with the roomies and their friends. In a dhaba which gave yummy Aaloo Paratha + butter for 10 Bucks a piece. I still drool when I think about it. It became my daily hangout for the next 6 -7 months.

Now how do we sleep? That day we all slept on the floor.Next day Dad came and gave me some money and some clothes which I could not carry because of the weight also a new pair of black leather shoes for first day in the company.


"We have ordered mattress from the nearby mattress store, you could also order it". So I ordered a 6X4 Mattress with 7 Kg cotton, I expected a big fluffy mattress but what I got was quite the opposite a Goliath of a mattress which was just an inch or 2 thick. Yikes!!! It seems that the person who I gave the measurement was not skilled enough to know for 6X4 they needed 8-9 Kg cotton which could cost about 200Rs more, No way, I wouldnt pay more. so I settled for this ... extra large quilt of a mattress. By Monday I was happy as a lark, well settled and ready to take life into my hands. READY ... STEADY ... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No comments: